Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Training summary-Weeks 11 and 12

These past two weeks were my last hard weeks before the race, with weekly mileages in the 40-45 mile range, and long runs of 13 and 14 miles. Since we are now in that time of the year where the weather can't decide if it should be like winter, spring, or summer, deciding what to wear when I go for a run has been slightly challenging. For example, last Wednesday I went out in shorts and a t-shirt and came back pretty sweaty. But on Sunday, I had to wear leggings, a fleece pullover, and gloves because it was overcast, drizzling, and only about 40 degrees.

When I was training for my first half, most of my training happened in the summer and fall, when it was still pretty hot out. I remember thinking how I couldn't wait until it got colder because I was sort of assuming that running in the cold would be a lot easier than running in the heat. Now, I'd have to say that if given the choice of running in 80-degree weather or 30-degree weather, I'd probably pick the latter. However, I have found that it is really hard to run fast in the cold, just like in the heat.

This week is my final week of training, as the race is this Saturday. I have 3 short runs and 1 final tempo run. If all goes well, hopefully I can report a new PR!

12 weeks down, 1 to go.

1 comment:

Michelle Casad said...

Hey!
I was talking to Amy Hargis, and her boyfriend will be running with you - I don't know if you met Roberto at one of our parties - put keep an eye out for them!

good luck!