Monday, June 22, 2009

Do cows have it easier?

Okay, we all know that breastfeeding is best for baby and mom. And it is a naturally occurring phenomenon, as all of our other mammal friends do it too. I have been at this for 7 weeks now, and I will be honest, it does not come naturally, and I don't think it is easy for me yet. I tend to get impatient with the process (and sometimes with Ally) on a fairly regular basis (Why won't she latch on? I need to get this milk out of me NOW! Why isn't she sucking faster? Why does she fall asleep after only 5 minutes?). I mean, cows do this all the time, and they never seem to have any problems! You never hear of the mama cow mooing at her calf impatiently during feedings, and I'll bet they never have latching-on problems because they're nursing standing up. I am pretty sure that people are smarter than cows, so why is it so much more frustrating for people to learn how to nurse?

5 comments:

Michelle Casad said...

A little girl at church was asking me questions while I was feeding Miriam, "you have milk like a cow???!!!"

:)

VA said...

Yup. Sad, isn't it? No one told me ahead of time how painful it can be or how much dedication it can take. With Edward it became a struggle around 6 months and just too much hassle. I know Mommies of every baby feeding stripe and the end of the story is always "the baby turned out just fine." And yes, it does seem silly to be frustrated with a two month old but it happens to everyone. Don't sweat it! Take a deep breath and remember that nursing will eventually be a distant memory.

Anne said...

I too remember hearing how breastfeeding is so natural...whatever! I think after 2 months we finally have the hang of it but now with me going back to work I have to start trying to figure out how to work in pumping. Oh the joys of motherhood!

VA said...

At least we're on a par with elephants, Beth. I just heard that LeBonheur donated a breast pump to the Memphis Zoo for them to prepare the pregnant and due any day now pachyderm for breastfeeding. Yes, they're going to milk an elephant.

Dr. Beth Evans said...

Are you serious??? Milking an elephant? I would think that an elephant's breasts would be too big for a human breast pump, but maybe not? That is too funny!