Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I could eat that

One of the shows that Ben and I are enjoying on our Netflix "watch it instantly" queue is Bizarre Foods.  It is hosted by a chef named Andrew Zimmern, and he travels all over the world to sample local cuisine.  He is definitely right when he says that what is common in one country is quite exotic in another.  I think I was a little taken aback when I first started watching the show, but then again, one of the first episodes I saw was people in southeast Asia eating fried tarantulas.  Apparently though, they taste really good, and you eat them like a crab.  The kids were flocking to them.  I, however, would probably pass, as I am afraid of large spiders.  But now after watching a bunch of episodes, I'm starting to think that some of the previously bizarre eats are looking kind of appetizing.  Crickets sauteed with spices and vegetables?  I think I could eat that.  Crispy fried mealworms for a snack?  They look just like little french fries, I think I could eat that too.  Eyeballs, brains, heart, lungs, and digestive system parts? Hmm, I think I'll pass and stick with regular muscle tissue.

No comments: