Thursday, July 14, 2011

La Fête Nationale

I will start off with a disclaimer. I am not French. The closest I come to French in my blood is my French Swiss relatives on my dad's side. I think one of my cousins might be from Belgium but I'm not 100% sure. But I did take French from 7th-12th grade and I minored in it in college, and we did learn about French history and literature. So July 14th always comes to mind because it is Bastille Day, or La Fête Nationale. I would say the celebrations are probably pretty similar to our July 4th celebrations. And of course, it's not complete without listening to La Marseillaise, the French National Anthem. If you need to get yourself pumped up for something, just listen to it a few times; it is pretty rousing. Vive la France!

2 comments:

Michelle Casad said...

Oui, but I hope you were rooting for the correct team yesterday!!!

Dr. Beth Evans said...

You know, I haven't even been following the games. I am so out of the loop!