Sunday, April 15, 2007

Donating my body to science: a 3-part series

PART 3. On Friday, we completed the exercise/cold exposure lab. To recap; on Monday, I did the exercise-only trial and on Wednesday, I did the cold exposure-only trial. On Friday, we put the two together, so I arm cranked for 30 minutes with my feet in the 10 degree Celsius water. I didn't notice the cold water as much this time; I was more focused on completing the exercise bout, which felt noticeably harder than it did on Monday. Also, it is really hard to generate 2mLs of saliva after exercising for 30 minutes and breathing into a mouthpiece (we breath into a mouthpiece for several minutes at a time in order to collect inspired/expired gases which we used to calcuate oxygen consumption and other metabolic data). But I am finally done donating my body to science, and now we can start analyzing the data to see what kind of cortisol reponses I had to each stress. Once we run all our assays, I'll post the results.

No comments: