Sunday, October 7, 2007

Training-Week 12 summary and Carrboro 10K

Half marathon: This was a really good week for running. I had no speed workouts and no long runs. It was all easy runs, with the exception of 1 day. Yesterday, I ran the Carrboro 10K. This was my third 10K, (the last one I ran was in March), and I wanted to see if I had improved. Well, I am happy to report that I set a new PR! My official race time was 49:56, which is an improvement of about 2 and a half minutes off my previous PR. I was excited not only that I set a new PR, but that I also broke 50 minutes. I came in 5th in my age group (25-29 year old women) and if I counted right, there were 26 women in my age group. The top 3 places in each age group won prizes, and I missed 3rd place by 51 seconds. This is definitely good motivation not only for my half-marathon training, but also for future 10K races.

I would also like to congratulate Ben, who also ran the Carrboro 10K yesterday. This was his first 10K, and he came in with a very good time of 1:01:11. I was quite proud of him, especially since he did not officially train for the race. I'm not sure he's quite caught the running bug, but I wouldn't count him out of future races.

This coming training week will be another hard one as now enter a training volume of 40-45 weekly miles, as well as another pace increase. I'm now basically in the home stretch of training, and the race is less than a month away.

12 weeks down, 4 to go.

No comments: