Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Changing tastes

On my bus ride to and from school, I usually do some kind of light reading. Lately, I have been catching up on my backlog of Runner's World magazines. In several of the issues, there is this one page for a hotel ad, and it features a picture of someone cooking an omelet. This omelet picture always catches my eye and I find myself staring at it and salivating, either because I'm really hungry at the time or because all the ingredients look so fresh and tasty. So today I decided to do something about it: I made a large omelet for dinner. It had tomatoes, red onions, cheese, bell pepper, broccoli, and sausage. It was darn good. Ben and I ate it up, and Ally seemed to enjoy the bits and pieces we gave to her.

Okay, so this sounds pretty normal; nothing too weird and crazy about an omelet. However, it was only a couple years ago that I would have turned my nose up at an omelet. Now I am not a picky eater, but throughout most of my life, there were 4 foods that I absolutely would not touch. They were:

1. Eggs in any form
2. Mushrooms
3. Avacados
4. Canned beets

I didn't like eggs or mushrooms because they tended to smell funny when cooked and they had sort of a rubbery texture, and I didn't like the taste of beets or avacados. But over the last few years, I have had several of these foods prepared in different ways and I am now accepting of them.

1. Eggs: if you put a lot of stuff on them, they don't taste, smell, or feel so "eggy." I particularly like cheese on my eggs. Also, we only buy the free range eggs, and I think they taste a lot better and don't have that rubbery texture or weird sulfur smell when cooked.

2. Mushrooms: I have to credit my friend Jim Hynes for turning me back towards liking mushrooms. We were at his house about 6 years ago for dinner and he made Boeuf Bourguignon, which of course had mushrooms in it. I remember thinking when I was eating it, "Oh boy, there sure are a lot of mushrooms in this sauce, but I don't want to seem rude by picking them out, so I'll just suck it up and eat them." What do you know, the sauce actually made them taste okay. After that, I was like, "Hmm, maybe if I cook the mushrooms with a lot of other stuff, they won't be so mushroomy." This theory worked. We now use mushrooms in a lot of our stir-frys. We like portabellos and the exotic mushroom blends (shittake, oyster) the best. I will be honest though, I am not a fan of canned mushrooms, as they are a bit too rubbery, and sometimes those button mushrooms still smell weird when cooked.

3. Avacaodoes: Guacamole. It's my new favorite condiment.

I still can't stomach those canned bright red beets though. I tried them again about 2 years ago, and I still think they taste really gross. Ah well, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

2 comments:

Michelle Casad said...

Ooh, eggs and mushrooms have always been two of my favorites. However I'm with you on the beets - yuck. Recently we have gotten beets in our CSA. Andy now loves them and just eats them boiled. They are not as bad as the canned once for sure but they are not good. He chopped some up and put it in an egg salad - which became extremely purple!! That wasn't bad because you couldn't taste the beet anymore, but you certainly could see it! I think some of my labmates were scared of my sandwich that day :)

Dr. Beth Evans said...

I've never actually had fresh beets, so I'd be willing to try them that way.

My parents used to make canned beet and onion salad when I was growing up. Yep, you guessed it, canned beets and white onions. The onions become sort of fluorescent pink. It is not tasty at all.

The purple egg salad is very appropriately colored for Lent!