Friday, May 18, 2007

Going to the next level

As you probably already know, I am a recreational runner, heavy emphasis on the word "recreational." For a long time, I stayed around the 5K distance because it was pretty easy, didn't take much time to train for, and there are 5K road races virtually every weekend. But last fall, I decided I wanted to take my running to the next level and train for a 10K. I ran the Carrboro 10K in October and the Cary Wakemed Distance Festival 10K in March, and really enjoyed it. Now, I have decided to go to the next level and train for a half-marathon. My goal is the City of Oaks Half Marathon in Raleigh on November 4th. Right now, I am kind of in maintenance mode with my weekly mileage, but I will officially start training for the half in July, approximately 16 weeks before the event. I will be in good company; two of my classmates are going to train with me, so hopefully we will be each other's motivation and accountability partner. Wish me luck!

No comments: