Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hitting the books

The last test I took was a midterm in one class last fall. Therefore, it has been almost a year since I really hit the books to study for a test. I have a physiology test on Monday, and I will be honest, I really don't feel like studying. I kind of just want to go in and take it cold, but I know that would be a VERY bad idea.

I think part of me feels like I should be finished taking tests by now. I guess it's partly because I feel like you shouldn't have to take tests after a certain age, but also because 2 of the classes that I'm taking this semester are core classes that everyone in my program has to take, and for me, they cover material that I will most likely never need again. So in that case, I often feel like I'm wasting my time learning material that I will just forget later (yes, a lot of it is memorization too, yuck).

I think that what it comes down to is that I feel impatient. I want to get this PhD thing going. I just want to take classes in physiology and cancer (my research interests). I've already had a semester of statistics, do I really have to have 2 more? I took 3 semesters worth of classes for my masters, can't that count for something? I guess I really wish that I could spend my time doing research, teaching, and taking a class or two; I think then I'd feel like I'm actively moving forward.

I am sure that I am not alone here; and that this is one of the plights of the PhD student. I also know that there is not much I can do about it. So in the meantime, I guess I'll study physiology!

No comments: