Friday, September 5, 2008

We struggle together

My post from last Saturday described my current school-related struggles, and I'm sure that I will look back on that in a couple years when I'm knee-deep in comps and dissertation and think, "Man, first semester was nothing!" Well, to update, Pete and I mostly figured out how to do our physiology homework by Wednesday, and we are comforted by the fact that the membrane biophysics module only lasts for another two weeks, after which we switch to the familiar territory of individual body systems.

As most of my friends are also struggling grad students, we understand each others' plight. My cell biology grad student friend Michelle commented that she is presenting in group meeting today, where she has to talk about the progress she's made since April (good luck Michelle!). A couple of our chemistry grad student friends have talked about how they feel like they do a lot of work, but they're not sure if it really is adding up to anything significant. And of course, Ben is learning the struggles of a new professor, and how exactly to set up a research lab and get it going, while not falling behind on teaching. I think I may try my friend Virginia's strategy: drink a diet Coke and stare out the window for a few minutes to clear my thoughts before getting back to work.

2 comments:

Michelle Casad said...

Hey!
This weekend was our departmental retreat in Asheville. We had a break on Saturday afternoon, and we were walking around and I saw this relay-race stuff going on! At first I was confused, but then I remembered you talking about that - too bad you didn't go because I could have cheered you on!

Dr. Beth Evans said...

That's right, this weekend was the Blue Ridge Relay! I hope that the teams out there were having fun. Maybe the Bear Breasted Second Basemen will be out there next year!