Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sly virus

So as I mentioned in my last post, Ben and I went to New Orleans for Christmas. We brought back a small loot of Christmas presents, Sicilian foccacia, a jar of olive salad, and my aunt's cold.

My aunt Mary was battling a pretty nasty cold for much of the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. I had been secretly priding myself that I had not come down with any kind of upper respiratory ailment since March, but alas, the rhinovirus found me out and attacked me in full force.

The virus was stealthy. It did not rear it's ugly head until about 2 days after we returned to Chapel Hill. The first symptom was a really runny nose on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday, the runny nose was partially replaced by a lot of chest congestion and coughing. Yesterday, the symptoms were a little better, however it had taken part of my voice with it, which was slightly problematic because I was scheduled to cantor Mass last night. That was an interesting experience because while I could still sing fairly well, I couldn't really talk much, and by the time Communion rolled around, I asked Roger our organist to announce the hymns because my speaking voice was mostly gone. Today is much better though, proving that yet again, the rhinovirus is no match for my immune system (with a little help from NyQuil and Robitussin of course).

So Mr. Rhinovirus, you sure tried to fool me. But you should know by now that you can't slow me down! Maybe you should try picking on someone your own size. HA!

1 comment:

Michelle Casad said...

I can attest to the quality of the singing, especially given how back you sounded when talking. Way to go!

Thanks again for the dips - we are still enjoying them!