Monday, July 16, 2007

In training

Today, I begin two training periods of sorts. The first is for a half marathon on Sunday, November 4th, about 16 weeks away. This will be my first half marathon (the longest race I've done so far is a 10K). To prepare, I went to Runnersworld.com and used the Smart Coach tool to create a training plan so that I know exactly how many miles to cover each week and what pace I should be aiming for. The nice thing is that the initial weekly mileages are the same as what I've been doing so far this summer, so it's not going to be a huge shock to my body. Of course, I may feel a bit dfferently a couple months from now!

The second training period is a shorter one, but much more serious, time-intensive, and a lot more difficult, and that is the preparation for my masters comprehensive exams. I don't yet know the exact date for comps, but I do know that they are sometime in the first part of September, so that's roughly 8-9 weeks away. I took a look at my syllabi from this past year's classes to see what topics I need to study, and I've grouped them so that I'm studying similar topics together. This week, I will begin with metabolism, macronutrients, and vitamins/minerals.

Well, I've already done my run for today, so now I guess I need to hit the books!

No comments: